Holiday Hints for Managing Diabetes
December 23, 2019
The holidays can be an especially hard time of year to avoid unhealthy foods. Use the helpful hints below to better manage your diabetes during this time.
- Ask the host ahead of time what food options will be available.
- Avoid hanging around the buffet table and sampling options before sitting down with your plate.
- Limit or avoid pre- and post-meal cocktails.
- Check your blood sugar levels more often during the holidays.
- Pack extra medication and supplies when traveling.
- Exercise for at least 150 minutes each week.
- When flying or driving, stay hydrated.
- Try to stretch every hour or so when traveling long distances.
- Carry a healthy snack.
- Avoid adding extra salt to your meals.