Medicare 2020 Highlights

January 19, 2020

Each year, if needed, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) adjust Medicare’s premiums, deductibles and copays. As a reminder, Medicare Part A covers hospital expenses and Medicare Part B covers other types of medical expenses, including physician services, certain home health services and durable medical equipment. Medicare Part D covers prescription drugs.

Part B Premium & Deductible For 2020

Most people do not pay a monthly premium for Medicare Part A if they or their spouse paid Medicare taxes while working. However, to be covered under Medicare Part B, you must pay a monthly premium (in most cases deducted from your Social Security benefit). As required by law, the standard monthly premium is set each year at 25% of the cost for senior beneficiaries. The government pays the remaining 75%. Most Medicare beneficiaries—including those who will enroll in Part B for the first time in 2020—will pay a Part B premium of $144.60. However, some people who get Social Security benefits pay less ($130 on average) and others may pay more if their 2018 modified adjusted gross income is above a certain amount. More about Part B Premium amounts can be found on the “Part B Costs” page of the Medicare website at:

The Part B deductible is $198 for 2020. This is the amount you must pay for health care before Medicare begins to pay for covered services and products. 

The Health Options Program is designed to pay some or all of these deductibles and coinsurances. For example, the HOP Medical Plan pays your Part A deductible and coinsurance for stays in hospitals and skilled nursing facilities, as well as the Part B deductible. The Value Medical Plan also pays 100% of Medicare’s hospital deductible and daily copays but only after you pay the first $300.

Get Help

Contact the HOP Administration Unit for assistance with your questions.